Wednesday, April 16, 2014

When I Grow Up




 When I Grow Up!


Some day soon
When I grow up,
I’ll have a job to do.
 
 I’ll write a book, 
Or be a cook, 
Or work inside a zoo.
 
I might want to drive a bus,  
Or teach children to read. 
I’ll load a train, 
Or fly a plane. 
Or plant a little seed.


I might want
To fight a fire,
Or be a doctor, too.
I’ll build a house,
Or sew a blouse,
Or sail the ocean blue.

So many jobs,
That I might choose.
I wonder what I’ll be.
I’ll work and learn,
Til it’s my turn,
To find a job for me!
By:  Lucia Kemp Henry


This poem really struck a chord with me.  My kindergarten kids will soon be attending the kinder-college day at a local university, where we will spend a couple of hours going from station to station learning about different careers and college options.  I think this is a great place to start.  However, we need to do so much more.

What is a speech pathologist, or an anesthesiologist, how about an astrophysicist, or a pharmacist?  What’s the difference between a civil engineer and a mechanical engineer?  What kind of job can I get if I like computers, or art, or bugs?  We need to have these conversations with kids… now!  Help them to find their likes and dislikes, their skills, and talents.  Open up the world to them and help them to find their place in it.

Here’s a few links to get the conversation started…


 
The 100 Best Jobs



 
Reality Check

Have fun exploring together,
Jodi
 

No comments:

Post a Comment